Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Translate this page

For Braille, large print or audio, please contact us.

Parent View - Give Ofsted your view on your child's school

What We Offer

Our Standards and Aims

We promote and maintain high standards of behaviour, social responsibility, sporting, creative and academic achievement throughout.

We have long held a good reputation, both within and beyond our local community, as a fully inclusive school. 

We are committed to supporting all children in our care and raising the aspirations of all, whatever their talents or abilities:- able, gifted and talented or with additional or special educational needs - including autistic spectrum conditions, attention deficit hyperactivity disorders, dyslexia, dyscalculia, physical disability, social or non-specific learning difficulties. Teaching staff and teaching support staff are both well trained and experienced.

 We aim to:We Aims

  • provide a curriculum which is broad, balanced, differentiated and relevant to every child
  • have a curriculum which is fully accessible and allows opportunities for all children
  • provide learning which is enjoyable, progressive, stimulating and individualised
  • encourage learners to become independent, self-motivated, self- disciplined and reach their potential
  • help children to learn a sense of right and wrong, a foundation on which to build their moral values, an understanding of the society in which they live, and their contributions and commitments to it
  • ensure that children acquire skills relevant to their adult lives and future employment
  • help children to develop an awareness of self and sensitivity to and respect for others around them
  • help children to recognise, encourage and celebrate achievement in themselves and in others

ND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.

• Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff

The Core Offer Special Educational Needs & Disability

1. Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning or SEND?

Your child’s Classteacher

Responsible for:

• Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENCO know as necessary.

• Writing and updating Inclusion passports, and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.

• Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work or programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.

• Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

Our SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator) Mrs Jenny Collyer

Responsible for:

• Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.

• Ensuring that you are:

involved in supporting your child’s learning

kept informed about the support your child is getting

involved in reviewing how they are doing

• Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...

• Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SE in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

The Headteacher Mrs Nicola Johnson

Responsible for:

• The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.

• They will give responsibility to the SENCO and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

• They must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

SEN Governor

Responsible for:

• Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.


2. What are the different types of support which may be made available?

Provision Mapping

1. Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching. For your child this would mean:

• That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

• That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

• That different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.

2. Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.

3. Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in his / her understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help make the best possible progress.

All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Specific group work with in a smaller group of children.

This group, often called an Intervention group, may be:

• Run in the classroom or outside.

• Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching Assistant who has had training to lead such groups.

There are three Stages of need in the Code of Practice for SEND which are ‘School Action’, ‘School Action Plus’ and ‘Education and Health Care Plan’ (EHCP).

1. School Action - a category for children identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school. For your child this would mean:

• He / She will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.

• A Teacher or Teaching Assistant will lead these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject / area of learning.

2. School Action Plus – a category for children identified by the class teacher or SENCO as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.  This may be from:

• Local Authority central services such as the Enhanced Main Stream Provision (schools who specialise in SEND e.g.  Communication and Interaction, Behaviour, Specific Difficulties, ASCOSS, or Sensory Service (for children with a hearing or visual need)

• Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

• Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/ SENCO (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.

• You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.

• You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
  • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise
  • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group
  • A group or individual work with outside professional

As a school we may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. We will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place. This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

3. Education Health Care Plan (previously known as a Statement of Educational Needs)

Support for your child of more than 20 hours in school.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/ SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.


Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

• Local Authority central services such as the Enhanced Main Stream Provision (schools who specialise in SEND e.g. Communication and Interaction, Behaviour, Specific Difficulties, ASCOSS, or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)

• Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

• The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

• After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at School Action Plus.

• After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than 20 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at School Action Plus and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

• The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

• The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

• Severe, complex and lifelong

• Need more than 20 hours of support in school


3. How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

• If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

• If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCO or Head teacher.

• If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor.


4. How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

• listen to any concerns you may have

• plan any additional support your child may receive

• discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning


5. How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?

• The school budget, received from North Yorkshire  LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

• The Headteacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.

• The Headteacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

children already getting additional support

children needing additional  support

children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected

• All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.


6. Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

• Teaching Assistant support - paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school

• EMS provision (assessment, advice and resources for children with Communication and Interaction Difficulties, Specific Learning Difficulties, EAL or Behavioural issues.

• Autism Outreach Service (ASCOS)

• Educational Psychology Service

• Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs

• Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).

Provided and paid for by the Health Service (Scarborough and Ryedale NHS Trust) but delivered in school:

• School Nurse

• Occupational Therapy

• Physiotherapy


7. How are Teachers trained to support children with SEND?

• The SENCO’S job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND. SENCOs undertake specific training for the post.

• The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND.

• At Nawton & Rosedale school staff have received specialist training in Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, ADHD, Autistic Spectrum Condition, Reactive Attachment issues, Equalities and Disability Access.


8. How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

• Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will work to ensure that your child’s needs will be met.

• Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers’ planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.

• Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

• Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning need


9. How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

• Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

• His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level given in reading, writing, numeracy and science.

• If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P levels’.

• At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.

• Children at School Action  and School Action Plus will have an  Inclusion Passport  which will be reviewed with your involvement  and the plan for the next stage agreed.

• The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual

Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

• The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.


10. What Support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

• The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

• The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

• All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.

• Inclusion passports will be reviewed with your involvement.

• Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

• A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.


11. How are Nawton & Rosedale accessible to children with SEND?

• Most of the Nawton school building is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps. Rosedale’s lower floor is accessible and the upper floor has been accessed by a wheelchair ‘climber’ in the past.

• We try to ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

• After school clubs are open and accessible to all children including those with SEND.


12. How will Nawton and Rosedale support your child when they are leaving the school, or moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving child to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • We will arrange for your child to make additional visits to their new school, if necessary.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.
  • Inclusion passport will be transferred to the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book or Social Story, to support their understanding of  moving on, then it will be made for them.

In Year 6:

  • Our SENCO will meet with the SENCO of the receiving school to share information and discuss support needs prior to any transition.
  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.


13. What do the Enhanced Mainstream School staff provide to  Nawton & Rosedale?

The Enhanced Mainstream schools host staff who can provide additional support for children with Communication and Interaction Difficulties, Specific Learning Difficulties, Emotional & Behavioural Difficulties et al . The  specialist provision is located within and fully integrated EMS Primary Schools. The EMS staff will:

• Demonstrate a culture and ethos that reflects a commitment to supporting and sustaining inclusive practice.

• Promote enjoyment and participation and celebrate the achievements of children with communication and interaction needs.

• Ensure that staff from schools, who are receiving advice and support, make reasonable adjustments to enable the removal of barriers to achievement for all children and staff.

• Champion and promote awareness of the needs and effective support for children with communication and interaction needs and their families.

• Have accreditation through the ICAN Primary Talk.

• Have the L.A.’s Inclusion Quality Mark

• Integrate fully with other service providers, MEA SEBD SpLD, ASCOSS

The EMS will promote a positive learning environment characterised by:

• A whole school communication commitment.

• Direct and specialist teaching of skills and knowledge in relation to SEND.

• Attention to the physical and sensory environment of the whole school to ensure that it is SEND supportive .

• Evidenced intervention based on what works for children with SEND.

• Professional development of staff in the home schools.

• Provision that can met a range of needs through a differentiated and personalised approach, including in class support, group interventions and discrete teaching of those who need it.

• Peer awareness raising for children with communication and interaction needs.


Outreach is the support a school will receive from the Local Authority via an EMS to help to develop its own provision to better meet the needs of an individual child. This may take several forms dependant on the child. The vast majority of the work the EMS staff do is providing out-reach support to schools to ensure the pupil can stay within their ‘home’ school if at all possible.

In Reach

The term in-reach is used to denote provision made within the EMS for a small number of children with high-need SEND, most of whom will have a statement of educational need.

Children attending the EMS on in-reach placement will transfer to the roll of the EMS.


Cookie Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Do you accept?